Seventeen Baptists met and organized the New Allendale Baptist Church on February 18, 1882. The Reverend J. A. Lawton and the Reverend J. E. Morrall composed the Council. The Reverend Lawton delivered the dedicatory sermon and the Reverend Morrall administered the charge.
The Reverend John G. Williams was called as the first pastor.
The present lot for a church building was purchased in 1883. Construction on the New Allendale Baptist Church began in 1884, and was completed at a cost of $2,207.68. On March 3, 1886, the Reverend Joseph A. Lawton preached the dedication sermon.
The Ladies Aid Society sponsored these organizations:
Sunbeams in 1912;
Baptist Training Union in 1918;
Young Women’s Association in 1920;
Royal Ambassadors in 1921.
Now the society is known as Women In Action.
Services were held once a month until 1903. At that time the church voted to have services every Sunday.
Through the years to present day the Church and Educational buildings have been replaced and remodeled. The Educational Building was completed in 1958, and the present Sanctuary was completed in 1966.
At the turn of the century, the word “New” was dropped from the name and the church was known simply as Allendale Baptist Church. In 1964, the name became the First Baptist Church of Allendale.
A brick parsonage was erected in 1946. In 1981, additions and repairs were completed to the parsonage. Since then enhancements and maintenance have been performed on a regular basis.
As of January 2021, Rev. Brian Fleming is our pastor, beginning his ministry at our church in July 2020.
Judy Kinard serves as the church administrator. And Martha White serves as our music minister and choir director.
Women began serving as deacons in 2001. Since that time there has been at least one woman on the deacon board.
This church enjoys a diversity of membership, including African Americans, people from India, people of Latin American heritage and people of Oriental descent. First Baptist Church of Allendale prides itself in having an active program of outreach ministry.